It would be an understatement to say that we've been inspired by the bananas in our new collection. We've been wearing banana bags and jewelry, eating bananas, and even contemplating re-painting the studio yellow -- I guess you could say we've "gone bananas" over the last few weeks since launch day!
Naturally, our obsession with bananas has spread from our closets and streetwear looks, into our kitchens and dinner plates too...
Since our skill sets are much better kept in the design studio -- and out of the kitchen, our favorite food blogger, Kieron from Double Barrel Banana has come to our rescue with a two delicious banana recipes to help us satisfy our banana cravings!
I'm kieron, and today we're making a.) a Baked Banana Cheese cake topped with whipped cream and fresh banana slices, and b.) a creamy banana and citrus daiquiri!
Lets start with the cheesecake. Here is what you will need ...
· 1 1/2 cups finely crushed wafers
· 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
· 17 vanilla wafers
· 1 fresh bananas, diced
· 2 ripe bananas, mashed
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
· 3 (8-ounce) cream cheese , softened
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 3 large eggs
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
+ 1 cup heavy cream for whipping & a tbsp powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together crushed vanilla wafer and coconut oil. Press into bottom of a greased 9-inch pie pan.
3. Stand 17 vanilla wafers around edge of pan with rounded sides facing outward. Press them gently into the crust.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
5. Gradually add brown sugar.
6. Add eggs, one at a time and stopping to scrape down sides of bowl after each addition. Do not over beat. Only beat until most of yellow disappears before adding next egg.
7. Beat in vanilla extract.
8. Stir your 2 mashed bananas in until evenly mixed. Pour batter into pan -- on top of crust.
9. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until center is almost set. Jiggle the pan to check for firmness.
10. Turn oven off, open door about 6 inches and leave cheesecake in oven to cool for about 1 hour.
11. Remove cheesecake to counter to cool for another 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hrs.
Before serving.. add your powdered sugar to your heavy cream and whipping until soft peaks form. Spread your whipped cream over the top of your chilled banana cheesecake, then garnish with fresh banana slices & enjoy!!
Now lets move on to the accompanying cocktail....
To mix our Creamy Banana citrus Daquiri you will need the following :
1 cup ice
1 1/2 ounce light rum
1 tablespoon triple sec
1 1/2 ounce lime juice
This drink is just too easy to make. Combine all ingredients with 1 cup ice in your blender. Blend until ice is smooth and the consistency is creamy! Pour your cocktail into a fun glass, and garnish with a slice of banana or lemon, and enjoy!
Kieron is the creative behind the delicious "Double Barrel Banana" food blog. He specializes in recipe creation and food photography, and loves cultural Belizean cuisine. For more recipes, food stories, and features, head over to doublebarrelbanana.com